Health & Safety Concept
The AMADEUS-Health and Safety measures for the planned re-start of river cruises in Europe have been established in cooperation with the “IG River Cruise” and the “CLIA”, as representatives of the industry and are based on the currently available guidelines of the European commission as well as on the regulations of the individual countries involved.
To ensure maximum safety on all our AMADEUS vessels, these measures need to be respected by us, as the cruise line, and you, as our partner and passengers.
We are convinced that in spite of the current situation, we will still be able to offer all passengers a memorable cruise experience and can assure you that our crew on board will, without exception, make every effort to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey.
As a responsible cruise company, which is committed to the safety of its passengers and crew, we are continuously and actively working in cooperation with experts on the development and implementation of the Health and Safety Concept. It is also the duty of these experts to continuously train our crews on board. In addition, there will be a specifically trained and certified senior crew member assigned to oversee and manage the Healthy and Safety standards onboard.
We see as a distinct advantage that cruise ship operators always had strict hygiene standards in place and clear processes prepared, even before the current Coronavirus pandemic, to quickly react to heightened hygiene requirements onboard and to ensure a safe travel for all passengers.
- Operational procedures on board have been arranged to ensure a minimum distance of 1.50 metres between each person.
- Passengers are required to wear face masks (covering mouth and nose) in public areas onboard if the required minimum distance is not possible.
- The crew will forego usual welcome rituals such as shaking hands, etc. until further notice.
Updates and changes regarding requirements will be continuously taken into consideration.
Health of Passengers and Crew
Our partners will receive Health Questionnaires before the start of each cruise, which have to be completed and certified by all Passengers and Tour Leaders without exception. This ensures that only Passengers who meet the requirements outlined in the questionnaire will start their cruise with us. The Health Questionnaires will be collected by a crew member before embarkation.
It is our goal, in cooperation with our Partners and within the measures available to us, to safeguard and protect our Passengers and Crew from a possible infection.
- The cruise line reserves the right to deny boarding and exclude certain Passengers from taking part in a cruise if their participation would result in a conflict with operational safety.
- Passengers will be asked about their wellbeing and health regularly.
- All Crew members receive a medical examination before they come on board.
- All Crew members are allowed to work on board only if they test negative for Covid-19 and if the test is not older than 4 days.
- Continuous health checks and body temperature measurements will be administered for the crew while working on board.
- All Crew will be provided with an adequate amount of protective personal equipment such as face masks/face shields, disposable gloves, etc. and will receive detailed instructions on how to use this equipment effectively.
- Access to the cruise ship will be controlled by a crew member positioned at the entrance of the vessel.
- All Passengers have to pass a contactless body temperature check before embarkation. Passengers with a body temperature of 37.5° degrees or higher will be denied boarding.
- All luggage handles will be disinfected in front of the ship before being delivered to the cabins by the Crew.
- All Passengers and Crew are required to disinfect their hands each time prior to boarding the ship.
- Proper social distancing between passengers at check in at the reception desk will be observed.
- If scattered arrival on embarkation day (i.e. busses with arrival time separation) is not possible, additional waiting areas will be created in front of the ship and access to the gangway coordinated by a crew member.
- In all cases, additional rules and regulations of the local port authorities will be observed.
Hygiene on Board
In comparison to other establishments on land, the river cruise industry developed proven hygiene standards already many years ago and these continue to remain valid. In addition to the measurements already in place, cleaning intervals for surfaces that are known as transmission platforms such as door handles, railings, gangways, key-boards, etc. will be increased.
Hand sanitising points will be installed in all areas on the ship with heightened passenger traffic (entrance, lobby, restaurant, Panorama-Bar, Amadeus-Club, sun deck and entrance and exit of crew areas). All cleaning and disinfecting products used on board have been specially rated by the individual manufacturers as being effective for the successful disinfection of coronaviruses.
- An adequate supply of personal protective equipment such as face masks are available on board. However, tour operators should, encourage passengers to bring their own face masks.
- For cleaning and disinfection on board the current valid guidelines of the “EU Healthy Gateway” will apply.
- The air conditioning system is designed to discharge air to the outside of the vessel which prevents a re-circulation of air within the vessel. Additional technical measures and filter systems, which are used within the health industry, will be tested and implemented for critical areas such as public spaces. In addition, crew members are instructed to increase fresh air ventilation.
- Cabin crew members are required to disinfect their hands every time before entering a passenger cabin and wear face masks while working in passenger cabins.
- Items that can be shared amongst passengers (e.g. magazines, bar snacks, etc.) will not be offered until further notice.
• Passenger contact with certain, shared objects (e.g. menus, trays, etc.) will be reduced to a minimum and such items will either be disinfected or replaced if necessary.
- Information and instructions regarding social distancing, sneezing and coughing etiquette as well as correct usage of disinfection stations and personal protection equipment
will be posted in public areas.
- Cabin keys will be disinfected each time they are returned to the reception desk.
A minimum distance of 1.5 meters measured from table corner to table corner in the restaurant, as well as in the Panorama-Bar and Amadeus-Club will be adhered to. Seating will be assigned by the Maitre’d to ensure the following seating arrangements:
- Maximum of 4 Passengers per table (families are excepted from this requirement)
- Passengers accommodated in the same cabins will share a table
Face masks are not required while sitting at the table. Depending on the amount of passengers onboard, we reserve the right to schedule two seatings for meals.
The continuation of buffets, especially the breakfast buffet, will be dependent on the number of passengers onboard. In the interests of hygiene and health safety, a waiter will serve the passengers the chosen items from the buffet. A la carte items such as cooked to order eggs during breakfast are always available and will be served.
The Panorama-Bar provides a generously spacious layout enabling lectures and presentations to be held, with social distancing guidelines observed.
Events such as the Captain’s cocktail, folklore itineraries and entertainment programmes, where a significant number of participants is expected, may be offered in two sessions.
- Beverage service will be provided exclusively by the waiter. This includes the afternoon tea, which may be offered in two seatings.
- Bar snacks will be served to passengers individually instead of being shared with others.
The “24-Hour-Coffee station” (if available) will still be accessible in compliance with the hygiene standards. Board games, playing cards, books, etc. will not be available until further notice.
The generous dimensions of our outdoor areas do not require specific restrictions as long as the required minimum distancing guidelines between passengers are observed (individual responsibility of passengers).
The use of the elevator (if available) is still possible. However, wearing a face mask while in the elevator is mandatory.
These services can be offered, while hygiene standards as well as health and safety guidelines have to be observed. Advance reservation at the reception is required.
Shore Excursions will be organized in accordance with the local rules and regulations. These may vary depending on the country and can also differ for group sizes and maximum participation for guided tours and visits. In order to guarantee minimum distance requirements between participants while on excursion, the usage of wireless audio guides is mandatory.
Illness on board
If a passenger displays symptoms possibly related to COVID-19, an emergency plan specifically developed for this situation will be activated:
- The affected passenger will immediately be isolated in adesignated cabin and has to consent to staying isolated and avoid contact with others until the arrival of a physician and/or health authorities.
- Crew members on board who supervise this cabin will be equipped with the necessary personal protection equipment.
- Under the supervision of the AMADEUS-Health Care Officer, a preliminary diagnosis utilizing a COVID-19 rapid test will be performed.
- After initial evaluation of the test result and if required, local health authorities will be notified.
As cruise line, we have already assembled comprehensive health infrastructure information for each port along our itineraries in order to immediately arrange medical services for Passengers and Crew, if necessary. A return to the ship after possible illness detection is only allowed with a doctors note and certification of no illness (COVID-19).